For over three decades, Neuro Kinetics (NKI) has supplied comprehensive neuro-functional diagnostic and assessment tools to neurologists, audiologists, scientists, researchers, ENT’s, neurotologists and neuro-ophthalmologists around the globe.
The Science to See™
For over three decades, Neuro Kinetics (NKI) has supplied comprehensive neuro-functional diagnostic and assessment tools to neurologists, audiologists, scientists, researchers, ENT’s, neurotologists and neuro-ophthalmologists around the globe. Bottom line — No company has been more integral to the development of:
- Clinical eye tracking;
- Non-invasive oculomotor and vestibular science; and
- The advancement of neuro-functional testing.
NKI’s mission is to translate advances neuro-functional science to the clinic for improved patient care and outcomes. NKI’s I-Portal® technology is a foundational platform helping clinicians detect multiple medical conditions early, accurately, and cost effectively.
I-Portal technology is a highly functional, non-invasive, diagnostic measurement tool that can detect deficits associated with scores of medical conditions at low cost, and, in many cases, earlier than, invasive technologies. Leading edge science is enabling NKI to expand its presence from its historic vestibular market into new arenas and applications in traumatic brain injury, concussion, ophthalmology, and neurology.
NKI provides the most sensitive, precise, and advanced clinical eye tracking tools on the market for neuro-functional testing to enable the detection and measurement the neural-functional biomarkers of the brain expressed through the eye.
With such tools, NKI foresees a new clinical dataset to be used throughout the healthcare system as a future frontline tool for early and accurate diagnosis of many of the scores of different diseases identified in the Socius Study as correlated with eye movements. Besides being a sensitive monitoring tool, I-Portal is potentially a therapeutic device. Such possibilities put NKI in position for exceptional growth potential in markets for concussions, Parkinson’s, MS, and diabetic retinopathy that, collectively, exceed $10.0 billion.
Throughout NKI’s history it has been responsible for translating cutting edge research into clinical practice. Our story began in the 1970’s while still a division of Contraves. NASA-funded researchers were challenged to understand how our vestibular (balance) system works on earth and how they would respond in space without gravity. They needed, and NKI delivered, precision tools to measure the neural-functional biomarkers of the brain expressed through the eye. Based on the discoveries NKI made as a partner to these groundbreaking scientists, NKI developed and built the first FDA-cleared, computerized rotational chair, securing its first FDA 510(k)’s in August 1978.
Prior to the death of NKI’s founder, Jan Parmentier, NKI had begun innovative work with video eye tracking. New management came on board in late 2002, led by Howison Schroeder. The new team identified over 200 different diseases associated with abnormal eye movements (Socius Partners 2003). The potential utility of a precision, clinically focused eye-tracking technology led NKI to develop the I-Portal® platform, the most sensitive clinical eye tracking system on the market. Since then, NKI’s has been issued 22 patents with nearly 10 more patents pending that protect the uniqueness of NKI’s leadership in the market. In 2006, NKI launched a comprehensive overhaul and upgrade of its computerized rotational chair, and labeled the product line I-Portal® after its I-Portal eye tracking.
The drive to discover, the talent to innovate, and the good fortune to work with outstanding collaborators has helped NKI accumulate 22 U.S. issued patents. Additional patents are pending and yet more intellectual property is kept as trade secret.
- 7,119,471 — direct drive, high torque, compact synchronous motor
- 7,448,751 — portable video oculography system with integral light stimulus system
- 7,520,614 — portable video oculography with region of interest image processing
- 7,651,224 — dynamic visual vestibular acuity testing protocol
- 7,665,845 — portable high speed head mounted pupil dilation tracking system
- 7,731,360 — portable video oculography system
- 7,753,523 — portable video oculography system with integral calibration light
- 7,866,818 — portable modular video oculography system and video occulography system with head position sensor and video occulography system with animated eye display
- 8,333,472 — compact neuro-otologic, neuro-ophthalmologic testing device and dynamic visual acuity testing and desensitization platform
- 8,585,609 — quantitative, non-invasive, clinical diagnosis of traumatic brain injury using simulated distance visual stimulus device for neurologic testing
- 8,764,193 — method and apparatus for corrective secondary saccades analysis with video oculography system
- 9,039,631 — quantitative, non-invasive, clinical diagnosis of traumatic brain injury using VOG device for neurologic testing
- 9,039,632 — quantitative, non-invasive, clinical diagnosis of traumatic brain injury using VOG device for neurologic optokinetic testing
- 9,101,296 — Integrated video and electro-oculography system
- 9,107,616 — method corrective secondary saccades analysis with video oculography system for objective diagnostic of traumatic brain injury, internuclear opthalmopligia, ocular lateral pulsion and progressive supernuclear palsy and glissades
- 9,198,571 — method of measuring and analyzing ocular response in a subject using stable pupillary parameters with video oculography system
- 9,247,870 — method and apparatus for system synchronization in video oculography based neuro-otologic testing and evaluation
- 9,301,675 — method and apparatus for validating testing procedures in objective ophthalmic eye testing for eye evaluation applications requiring subject compliance with eye fixation to a visual target
- 9,596,986 — method of measuring and analyzing ocular response in a subject using stable pupillary parameters with video oculography system
- 9,655,515 — method of precision eye-tracking through use of iris edge based landmarks in eye geometry
- 9,723,981 — Head mounted compact goggle based video oculography system with integral stimulus screen
- 9,730,583 — Method for objective diagnostics of internuclear opthalmopligia, ocular lateral pulsion, progressive supernuclear palsy and glissades eye movements
Certifications & Qualifications
- FDA Medical Device Compliance
- ISO Manufacturing; GMP
- U.S. Federal Contractor
- U.S. Small Business
- U.S. FDA 510(k) Clearances:
- K781268 – Vestibular Rotary Chair
- K771718 – Computerized Posture Platform
- K083603 – I-Portal 4D Video Oculography Eye Tracking System (VOG), I-Portal® Video Nystagmography System (VNG), I-Portal® Neuro Otologic Test Center (NOTC)
- K143607 – I-Portal Neuro Otologic Test Center (NOTC), I-Portal Video Nystagmography System (VNG), and I-Portal Video Oculography Eye Tracking System (VOG)
- K171844 – I-Portal® Portable Assessment System™ – Nystagmograph (I-PAS™)
Howison Schroeder Chief Executive Officer and President
- S., Pennsylvania State University
- Director Breathe PA., Former VP of JP Morgan
- 15+ years with medical startups and industrial manufacturing
Alex Kiderman, Ph.D. Chief Technology Officer
- PhD, Academy of Science, Moscow, Russia
- Over 20 peer reviewed publications
- Over 30 years of experience in engineering, medical diagnostics & manufacturing
Michael L. Saporito Chief Financial Officer
- S., West Virginia University
- Former CFO of LifeVest, division of ZOLL Medical
- Previous employers: TrueCommerce, Cisco Systems, EDS and Perot Systems
Susan Zelicoff VP Sales and Marketing
- MBA, Drexel University; B.S., University of Pittsburgh
- Former Member of National Space Biomedical Research Institute Industry Forum
- Over 30 years in marketing, business development, and commercialization
Anne Brun Manager Production and Supply Chain
- B.A., Louvian-La-Neuve University
- 5+ years teaching special needs students in Senegal and at Centre Neurologic William Lenox Neurologic Hospital, Belgium
- 9+ years manufacturing experience in Sales, Supply Chain and Production
Exclusive Online Access to 'Member-Only' resources